Duke Health conceptually integrates the Duke University Health System, the Duke University School of Medicine, and the Duke University School of Nursing. It is the combination of research, clinical care, and education that takes place through the efforts of our faculty, staff, students, and trainees at many different sites throughout our region and worldwide.
Mission & Vision
In 2006, Duke Health adopted new mission and vision statements that describe the overarching goals and shared aspirations of all of its components -- including the Duke University Health System, the Duke University School of Medicine, and the Duke University School of Nursing. We also finalized strategic plans to guide our efforts over the next five to 10 years.
The following link provides details of Duke Health's Advancing Health Together, 2016-2020 Strategic Planning Framework, and how we are working together to carry out our mission and vision.
The Duke Health Mission
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.
The Duke Health Vision
Duke Health seeks to transform health care, teaching, and research to benefit society. We believe we can accomplish this vision by:
- Making important advances in biomedical science and fundamental research
- Fostering a multidisciplinary environment in the lab and clinic that unites our efforts to prevent illness, treat disease, and care for our patients
- Translating discoveries into clinical practice
- Designing clinical interventions and measuring their effectiveness
- Creating innovative approaches to health and wellness
- Addressing health disparities in our community and around the world
- Sharing our vision and advances globally through wide-reaching programs and collaborations
- Training the scientists, clinical professionals, administrators, and community advocates who will lead this work in the future
- Investing in technologies, tools, infrastructure, and people -- the foundations of success
In 2011, Duke University Health System adopted a system-wide values statement.
“Caring for Our Patients, Their Loved Ones, and Each Other” through:
- Excellence: We strive to achieve excellence in all that we do.
- Safety: We hold each other accountable to constantly improve a culture that ensures the safety and welfare of all patients, visitors, and staff.
- Integrity: Our decisions, actions, and behaviors are based on honesty, trust, fairness, and the highest ethical standards.
- Diversity: We embrace differences among people.
- Teamwork: We have to depend on each other and work well together with mutual respect to achieve common goals.