Duke Medicine conceptually integrates the Duke University Health System, the Duke University School of Medicine, and the Duke University School of Nursing. It is the combination of research, clinical care, and education that takes place through the efforts of our faculty, staff, students, and trainees at many different sites throughout our region and worldwide.
Mission & Vision
In 2006, Duke Medicine adopted new mission and vision statements that describe the overarching goals and shared aspirations of all of its components -- including the Duke University Health System, the Duke University School of Medicine, and the Duke University School of Nursing. We also finalized strategic plans to guide our efforts over the next five to 10 years.
The links at right provide more details of the Duke Medicine strategic plan and how we are working together to carry out our mission and vision.
The Duke Medicine Mission
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Medicine strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.
The Duke Medicine Vision
Duke Medicine seeks to transform health care, teaching, and research to benefit society. We believe we can accomplish this vision by:
- Making important advances in biomedical science and fundamental research
- Fostering a multidisciplinary environment in the lab and clinic that unites our efforts to prevent illness, treat disease, and care for our patients
- Translating discoveries into clinical practice
- Designing clinical interventions and measuring their effectiveness
- Creating innovative approaches to health and wellness
- Addressing health disparities in our community and around the world
- Sharing our vision and advances globally through wide-reaching programs and collaborations
- Training the scientists, clinical professionals, administrators, and community advocates who will lead this work in the future
- Investing in technologies, tools, infrastructure, and people -- the foundations of success
Read “Thinking Big,” a booklet that provides an overview of Duke Medicine’s vision and strategic plans. Download PDF (PDF, 375 KB)
In 2011, Duke University Health System adopted a system-wide values statement.
“Caring for Our Patients, Their Loved Ones, and Each Other” through:
- Excellence: We strive to achieve excellence in all that we do.
- Safety: We hold each other accountable to constantly improve a culture that ensures the safety and welfare of all patients, visitors, and staff.
- Integrity: Our decisions, actions, and behaviors are based on honesty, trust, fairness, and the highest ethical standards.
- Diversity: We embrace differences among people.
- Teamwork: We have to depend on each other and work well together with mutual respect to achieve common goals.
Learn more about the DUHS values.
Duke Medicine Strategic Plan
Read the introduction to the Duke Medicine strategic plan and summaries of the plan’s three parts below.
Duke Medicine Strategic Plan Introduction
Health System Strategic Plan Summary
School of Medicine Strategic Plan Summary
School of Nursing Strategic Plan Summary